Virtual Summer Camp - Indie Filmmaking through a Feminist Lens - (Ages 11-14) August 17-21
M-F, 10am-11am on Zoom + at home projects
Age range: 11-14
– Sliding Scale Camp Registration $75-175
– Level Up Camp – $75-175 – Bonus projects, tutorials, and support designed to help students build on this camp’s skills and activities, at their own pace.
Full scholarships are available, seats are held, so please apply here! We do not require financial information, just send us a note and we’ll be in touch.
In this camp you will learn all the steps to making an independent film that champions gender equality. This camp will focus on story development, scriptwriting, and the videography techniques you need to record and edit your own films. Since filmmaking began, creative people like you have been making amazing films with whatever resources they had available. We’ll also learn about ways filmmakers have still been working together during the pandemic to create new art.
Why filmmaking through a feminist lens?
This camp has been one of our most popular camps, focusing on teamwork, respect, and creativity. This summer we are putting a specific emphasis on the skills youth need to interpret messages about identity and gender in film and media, and the skills to share your own stories and experiences. In this camp, you’ll learn about female, trans, and gender non-conforming filmmakers from near and far who have inspired audiences and filmmakers. This camp is available for any youth to join, feminist filmmaking is for boys too!
What technology and supplies are needed to participate?
1. Each student will need mobile device, such as an iPhone or Android phone, or other tablet with a camera, or another type of digital camera and a PC or mac. We’ll cover free app options for recording and editing in the camp. If you would like to take the camp, but aren’t sure if you have technology that will work for it, email firstname.lastname@example.org for options.
2. Participants will need to use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. Zoom meeting details will be sent to all participants a few days prior to the camp start date. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting.
– This camp will meet on zoom, Monday-Friday from 10am-11am. Zoom meetings will include games, explanations of projects, and time for students to share and get to know each other and their teacher.
– From 11am-12pm, and 1pm-2pm campers can schedule an optional 15 minute zoom or phone call for additional support or help with their projects.
– Projects are designed to be completed in 30-60 minutes a day, on your own schedule (including watching video tutorials and working on projects)
Level Up Camp – Indie Filmmaking through a Feminist Lens
This Level Up Camp includes bonus tutorials and projects, plus daily, optional Zoom “office hours” with the instructor, from 3-4pm. The Zoom time is for students to talk about their projects or get help with them. Projects will focus on building skills helpful in narrative and documentary filmmaking, such as storyboarding, creating mood boards for production design, cinematography for mobile phones, and editing techniques. You can sign up for the Level Up Camp during registration for this camp, in the link above.