Youth Summer Camps
Every summer, Northwest Film Forum offers camps for youth to get hands-on with the art and craft of film and media making and to develop their creativity and voice.
2019 Filmmaking Summer Camps now open for registration! Scroll for more info.
Camps for ages 8 to 17 are taught by experienced local filmmakers and offer the chance for budding directors, actors, editors, and DPs to get practical experience with film production and editing, using professional filmmaking gear, software, and workflows. NWFF partners with Reel Grrls and Coyote Central throughout the year and summer. Check out their sites for more information upcoming programs.
Registration for Summer 2019 Camps will open during Children’s Film Festival Seattle, January 24-February 9.
Reel Grrls and Northwest Film Forum are partnering to bring an exciting new camp!
Who can apply: Female, transgender, and gender non-conforming youth grades 8-12.
Prerequisites: No previous video production experience required!
Attention all future Social Media Influencers! Ever wonder what it takes to go viral? In this week-long day-camp you’ll learn the pros and cons of being a social media influencer in 2019 and work in small groups to create web content. The focus of this one-week camp is broken into three categories: Social Emotional Learning, Pros and Cons of being an Influencer, and Basic Video Skills.
All learning and creation is collaborative! Here’s what’s included:
- Media Literacy — learn what makes high quality and engaging media, how you can use media as a tool for social change, how to recognize accurate representation in media, and what it takes to become a social media influencer.
- Digital Storytelling — learn how to amplify your voice and the voices of others
- Pre-Production – learn about story development, scriptwriting, and storyboarding
- Production – learn basic camera, audio, and lighting skills
- Post Production – learn editing on Adobe Premiere Pro, the film industry standard software
Whether you’re new to animation or have been making it for a while, this camp will help you get to the next level and create more complex animations. In this camp, you’ll learn about physical multiplane animation and learn how to use Adobe After Effects to accomplish a similar style with digital art. You will have time and mentorship to design and create an original animation during the camp. If you like DIY, spending time on the details, and investing time in bringing your imagination to life, you might be an animator. Sign up and see what you can create!
In this camp you will learn all the steps to making an independent film, then work with your crew to make an original film! Since filmmaking began, creative people like you have been making amazing films with whatever resources they had available. Independent filmmaking requires teamwork, respect, innovation, determination, and so much creativity. Attending this camp at Northwest Film Forum means watching example films in the cinema, writing and storyboarding with your team, learning how to use cameras, lights and audio from the gear cage, shooting on location (either in the Cinema or the neighborhood nearby), editing in Adobe Premiere in the edit lab, and finally watching your film on the big screen!
Taught by Shann Thomas
Summer Camp FAQs
We allow for dropoff and pickup within 30 minutes of the start and end time of each program.
In case your plans change, here is our policy on camp refunds:
- 100% refund if we receive your cancellation notice 14 calendar days before the first day of camp.
- 50% refund if we receive your cancellation notice 7 calendar days before the first day of camp.
- Camps must meet a minimum enrollment requirement to launch, and may be cancelled or rescheduled if the camp does not meet a minimum number of enrolled students. Students will be notified in advance if there is limited enrollment for a camp, and can receive a full refund, which may take up to 30 business days to process and transfer.