Virtual Summer Camp - Making the Impossible: Special Effects - (Ages 8-12) August 10-14
M-F, 10am-11am, on Zoom + at home activities
Age range: 8-12
– Sliding Scale Camp Registration $75-175
– Level Up Camp – $75-175 – Bonus projects, tutorials, and support designed to help students build on this camp’s skills and activities, at their own pace.
Full scholarships are available, seats are held, so please apply here! We do not require financial information, just send us a note and we’ll be in touch.
Filmmakers have always been trying to make impossible realities come to life. Whether it’s spaceships, strange creatures, other worlds, or impossible feats, where there’s a will, there’s a way! In this camp, you will explore the world of visual effects by learning how to create and record physical and digital effects from the big screen. Special effects artists are constantly inventing and trying new things. You’ll make short videos trying out different effects and trick shots to create movie magic.
What technology and supplies are needed to participate?
1. Each camper will need access to a mobile device, such as an iPad, or smartphone that can record video, or another type of digital camera and a PC or mac. We’ll cover free app options for recording and editing before the camp to make sure you’re set up for success. If you would like to take the camp, but aren’t sure if you have technology that will work for it, email firstname.lastname@example.org for options.
2. Participants will need to use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service via a device or computer. Zoom meeting details will be sent to all participants a few days prior to the camp start date. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting.
– This camp will meet on zoom, Monday-Friday from 10am-11am. Zoom meetings will include games, explanations of projects, and time for students to share and get to know each other and their teacher.
– From 11am-12pm, and 1pm-2pm campers can schedule an optional 15 minute zoom or phone call for additional support or help with their projects.
– Projects are designed to be completed in 30-90 minutes a day, on your own schedule (including watching video tutorials and working on projects)
Level Up Camp – Special Effects
This Level Up Camp includes bonus tutorials and projects, plus daily, optional Zoom “office hours” with the instructor, from 3-4pm. The Zoom time is for students to talk about their projects or get help with them. Projects will focus on additional effects skills and projects such as using perspective in shots, slow-motion, using green screen or keying, cloning, and more! You can sign up for the Level Up Camp during registration for this camp, in the link above.