NOddIN Japanese Film Collective
$12 General Admission
Several members of the NOddIN collective will be in attendance!
Q&A and sushi & sake reception after the screening!
- 6:30PM: Door opens, Happy Hour with NOddIN members in the lobby
- 7:00PM: Remarks, Introduction of NOddIN, Screening starts
- 8:20PM: Screening ends, Q&A/Panel Discussion starts
- 9:00PM: Q&A/Panel ends, Reception at the lobby to follow
- 10:00PM: End of the program, Sushi & Sake Reception in the lobby to follow
NOddIN is a collective of filmmakers and activists based in Tokyo, Japan, formed by a group of creative people who have experienced a values shift after the Fukushima nuclear disaster that occurred in Japan in 2011.
This tragic event became a pivot point to start seeing the society and politics of Japan from a different angle. In response, NOddIN members started voicing their concerns and delivering messages through their creative works. Their initial focus was on nuclear issues and the governments handling of them, but then widened to tackle urgent and concerning issues as they arise. These include preserving Article 9, known as the Japan’s Peace Constitution over the Constitutional Amendment, the Specially Designated Secrets Act, the Right of Collective Self- Defense, and the relocation of U.S. bases in Okinawa.
Since 2013, NOddIN has hosted a number of exhibits, film screenings, performances, and talk sessions at various locations in Japan, while its membership has grown to twenty-eight, and includes film directors, producers, editors, copywriters, designers, actors, and artists.
The screening at Northwest Film Forum will mark NOddIN’s U.S. debut, and the premier of their short films. This program was curated by local NOddIN member, Etsuko Ichikawa, and made possible through generous support from Northwest Film Forum and executive director Courtney Sheehan.
The program will screen twelve short films produced in the past 6 years at this one-night-only event, and run approximately 70-minutes, followed by a Q & A and a reception. Several directors and producers of NOddIN are flying from Japan to be present at the event.
Please don’t miss this special occasion to see NOddIN’s works and meet the members. Seven members of NOddIN will be present at the event!
The films to be screened (not in order of screening):
- “What Happens Before War?” by NOddIN
- “Obey Song” by Yukihiro Shoda
- “blind” by Yukihiro Shoda
- “Here, There” by Ichiro Tani
- “8.14,2330 – The last air raid, Kumagaya -” by Kosai Sekine
- “IVAN IVAN” by Kosai Sekine
- “Mother’s Voices” by Aki Mizutani
- “70th” by SEALDs + Hikota Shimoda
- “Echo at Satsop” by Etsuko Ichikawa
- “AIUEO RAP PROJECT” by Teppei Kuroyanagi
- “Onlookers” by Kouki Tange
- “A Letter of Concern for You” by Kouki Tange