Trends in Latin American Experimental Animation
Curated by Lina X. Aguirre y Cecilia Traslaviña
Curator in attendance!
Monday, Feb 20 at 07:00PM
Moebius animación, a curatorial and critical project dedicated to Latin American experimental animation, presents a selection of 16 short films from Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Mexico, and Puerto Rico, produced between 2007 and 2014 by independent filmmakers and artists. This compilation is the result of their effort to map out the artistic field of experimental animation and its intense dynamic during the last decade. They have defined trends in the technical, narrative, material, and sensorial/affective dimensions of the works. The films explore and reinterpret a variety of techniques — such as pixilation, stop-motion, drawing, film scratching, 3D, and animation with painting and metals — as well as conventions in the use of space, sound and editing.
Screening (85 min.)
The sequence of films is organized according to four main trends, which are announced throughout the screening.
Trend 1: The Life of Things
1. Luis (Diluvio, Chile, 4:02 min, 2008 in Spanish with English subtitles)
2. Casa de máquinas (Daniel Herthel y Maria Leite, Brazil, 5:00 min, 2011, no dialogue)
3. Triángulo sádico (Nico Superby y Juan Pablo Langlois, Chile, 7:41 min, 2012, no dialogue)
4. Aedes (Quique Rivera, Puerto Rico, 2:15 min, 2011, no dialogue)
Trend 2: Narratives of Memory
5. Pasaje (Luis París, Argentina, 2:18 min, 2012, no dialogue)
6. Fabricia (Cecilia Traslaviña, Colombia, 8:15 min, 2013, no dialogue)
7. La casa triste (Sofía Carrillo, México, 13 min, 2014, in Spanish with English subtitles)
Trend 3: The Life of Form
8. Escarlata (Tania de León, México, 5:13 min, 2011, in Spanish with English subtitles)
9. Carne (Carlos Gómez Salamanca, Colombia, 7:22 min, 2013, no dialogue)
10. Lucía (Diluvio, Chile, 4:02 min, 2007, in Spanish with English subtitles)
11. Passo (Ale Abreu, Brazil, 3:39 min, 2007, no dialogue)
12. Sisisisisisisisisisisisi (Juan Camilo González, Colombia & US, 5:43 min, 2011, no dialogue)
Trend 4: Constructing Atmospheres
13. Maria da Gloria (Diego Akel, Brazil, 2:10 min, 2012, no dialogue)
14. Immersed (Soledad Águila, Chile & UK, 3:39 min, 2007, no dialogue)
15. Prita Noir (Sofía Carrillo, México, 8:14 min, 2011, in Spanish with English subtitles)
16. El delirio del pez león (Quique Rivera, Puerto Rico, 3:34 min, 2014, no dialogue)
Moebius animación has been working on the dissemination and study of experimental animation since 2009. They have curated screenings for animation festivals in several countries, including the United States, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Romania, Poland, and France. They have also designed exhibitions, workshops, and other events related to experimental animation, and work every day in making Latin American animation visible through their website, www.moebiusanimacion.com.